Schweinebraten (pork roast)
- 500gr carrots, peeled and cut into slices
- 1kg potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 3 small onions cut into chunks
- 4kg pork roast from the neck
- Oil to braise
- Handful of Cloves
- Handful of Juniper berries
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2ltr dark Weissbier
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Score the skin of the roast, but not the fat in even 1 inch wide sections. Cut perpendicular to the roast, first in one direction and then the other. Rub down the roast with salt and pepper. Stick a handful of cloves across the top of the roast where crosses are formed by your cuts. Heat oil in sauce pan and sear the roast on all sides for a minute. Set aside roast and add carrots, potatoes and onions to the roasting pan. Add vegetable stock. Place the roast back into the roasting pan and sprinkle juniper berries over the top. Bake in oven for 2 - 2.5 hours or until the skin on top is crunchy and crispy. While cooking, use liquids from the roasting pan to baste the roast every 20-30 minutes. After it has been cooking about 1 hour, add 1/4 of the Weissbier, pouring it over the top of the roast. Then baste again after 30 minutes with drippings from the pan. An hour after the first shot of Weissbier, add the other 1/4 over the top of the roast. Once the skin has become crunchy, turn on the broiler and broil the roast until the top pops. Remove from oven. For gravy, drain all the liquid from the roasting pan and put it in a saucepan. Put the roast back into the roasting pan and into the oven until you are ready to serve it. Add cornstarch to the saucepan and cook at medium heat until the sauce begins to thicken, about 15-20 minutes. Season to taste with salt, pepper and powdered vegetable stock. Remove the roast from the oven again and place on a cutting board. Cut into 3/4 - 1 inch thick slices.
- Serve with Hofbauer Spaetzle and Hengstenberg Red Cabbage!